Friday, January 19, 2018

30 Day countdown to Colombia

If you've read my blog for any length of time you know I've been collecting dresses to take with me to Colombia next month.  Since my week consisted of work and end of year payroll, W2's, W3, 1099's....... and NO sewing to speak of, I thought I'd post a few photos from the last mission trips. 

I left my heart in Guatemala.

Coming back from the fields with their big machetes.
And then there was Bolivia.
And Peru

 Quilters and friends, far and wide, were generous. 
 I got suitcase number 2 and it all fit perfectly! (really, it did!)
And now I wait. 
Flights were confirmed, 2 bags will be checked for FREE, Colombian pesos ordered. These 30 days will fly by! Thank you all who donated!!!

Have a fantastic weekend!!

Monday, January 15, 2018

Stitchin' Post Update

Jean Wells, owner of the Stitchin' Post in Sisters, Oregon,  is retiring and along with handing the reins to her daughter Val. The store closed for a few days While they and updated their store look.  I was in Sisters on Saturday which was the day they reopened. 
It was bright and airy and it looked fantastic!

 I saw my online friends, Diane's book, displayed prominently. I love that!
 Saw this adorable display hanging. I thought it was one by Tonye but it isn't.  It reminded me of my long put aside house quilt. You can see it HERE. I need to get back to that!
 The Stitchin' Post will have their grand re-opening on January 27th. 
My friend, Michelle, brought her Cheri Payne Santa quilt for basting. She had also brought fusible batting, which did NOT work with the sf 101 interfacing on the back of her quilt top. It gives the quilt a bit more body when appliqueing wool on cotton. We ended up pin basting it. This is her first hand quilted quilt project! I don't know why I didn't have her hold it up- it is super adorable!!

That's it for today. Make it a fantastic week!

Friday, January 12, 2018

Lincoln Blocks and More!

 I've made a little progress on the Lincoln blocks. I need to get a few Ohio stars cut out now to catch up with the 16 patches. This is a fun bold project to work on!
I got some of this in 108" wide for a backing on the Fall Festival quilt. 
It has made its way to the quilters! Sometimes on an especially large quilt an extra wide backing is so much easier than piecing. 

And then others are pieced, as usual. This is my backing for the Bricks of Wabash Co blue and tan quilt. This one made its way to the quilters as well. 

My Instagram feed for the week. It's been a good week!!

Make it a wonderful weekend!

Wednesday, January 10, 2018

Drum Roll..........Pillowcase Dresses

I asked my friends to come and help me organize the pillow case dresses that were made for my mission trip to Colombia next month. I feed them a light lunch and they help me! I think I'm getting the better end of the deal. Christy, in the turquoise shirt, came with me to Peru last year and she is going to Colombia as well! Thank you to all of those who made dresses and donated finances. I am always overwhelmed at your generosity. My plan was to limit the dresses to 50. 
Sometimes plans go awry! LOL  

 We (mostly them) separated the dresses by size.
 This was the "before" photo.  I'm still waiting for space bags to arrive in the mail. 
 I feel so fortunate to be able to bring these dresses. How many? you ask...... 108!!! In Colombia I'll fill my backpack every morning and every afternoon and bring them out with me to give away. I love to put them on the girls when I can. I'll take as many photos as I can too, so you will see them wearing the dresses you generously made and donated. We also prayed for the girls who would be receiving them. 
Bless you all!

Monday, January 8, 2018

Easing into the Week

Some time ago I purchased a Boro bag kit from French General- one for me and one for my daughter. 

I started it on New Years Eve. My base was muslin and a piece of batting. I placed the indigo 
randomly and started sewing with sashiko/primitive stitches. 

 The circular piece on the center left is one I dyed in Lori Triplett's class in November. The weave was extra tight so I only added a small piece. Stitching through it was hard! The cool looking piece on the lower left was given to me by my friend Phyliss, but its weave was tight too.
So, I cut that piece down a considerable amount then I added a few other pieces.

I then buttonhole stitched around it to attach it to the linen bag. 
I'm so happy with it and it was incredibly easy!

I'm actually thinking about doing the other side the same way, but with red fabric. 

Make it a wonderful Monday!



Blog Widget by LinkWithin