Thursday, June 11, 2009

Snowballs

I just finished reading a book called The Children's Blizzard by David Laskin. The cover says this: "In three minutes, the front subtracted eighteen degrees from the air's temperature. Then evening gathered in and temperatures kept dropping in the northwest gale. By morning on Friday, January 13, 1888, more than a hundred children lay dead on the Dakota-Nebraska prairie. "
Not a fun story by any means but the truth about the harsh living conditions the families and children endured. I had ancestors in North Dakota and Nebraska that could have been affected by this.

I decided to make this little snowball quilt in honor of the children who suffered and died that night. The book also reads, "A safe and carefree childhood was a luxury the pioneer prairie could not afford." I'm sure there were little girls who sewed together their mother's scraps to keep their dolls warm. This little quilt is in memory of those prairie girls too.

Wow, I re-read that post and it sounds really depressing huh? It was a sad book but had some amazing survival stories in there too!

2 comments:

  1. I have never heard of that book. I need to look further into it. Inspiration for a little quilt, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some of the histories are so sad but that's how bad life was. I love the little memory quilt you made. From what you said about doll quilts, I hope you use it for one.

    ReplyDelete

Because the ridiculous amount of SPAM I have resorted to comment moderation.

I love to reply to comments or a question. If you are on noreply-comment@blogger.com I have no way of contacting you. Please leave an email address. If you need help changing the setting please email me.
If you want to comment feel free to send me an email as I would love to hear from you!