Monday, August 2, 2010

Brights Abound

I've gotten two more house blocks done. And have just one more to complete, which I've been slowly working one. For those of you that may be new I took a class in February and you can see the teacher's quilt here. I noticed her studio is in the latest issue of American Patchwork and Quilting.
Hmmm, I can't tell if this is on the wall crooked, or appliqued crooked or a little of both!!
I saw this rendition at the Sisters show. The woman who made it took the class with me, but did machine applique instead of hand. The pink and aqua make it really fun.


Here's a little quilt ready to donate to the Alzheimer's Art Quilt Initiative. I had a particularly rough week with my mom, feeling like everything I did was wrong. I took a bit of time out from my usual sewing and created this quilt. I've called it "improvisation", which means to make, invent or arrange off hand. This is exactly how I was feeling as I take care of my mom who is suffering from early stages of Alzheimer's. Ami Simms has raised a lot of money from these little quilts for research and I would encourage you to make a little quilt for the cause. Ami is saving quilts up now to bring to Houston so I'm not sure if mine will be at the online auction or not. I'll be sure to let you know so you can bid early and bid often!! LOL

Here is another fun little bright quilt from the Sisters show, made by Jean Wells, owner of the Stitchin' Post.
Have a great day!!

16 comments:

  1. I love your house blocks, just so fun and whimsical.
    So nice of you to donate the quilt for such a good cause.
    you have inspired me to make one and send it to her.
    I have to look up the information on how to go about doing that.
    I am sorry you had a tough week.
    hopefully this one will be better....
    Kathie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lori they look cute. I have the patterb but have not started yet. I need too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry you had a tough week...glad you were able to find an outlet with your quilting.

    Houses look great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lori, I had no idea about your mum. My heart goes with you as I know what you must be going through. Thank goodness for sewing, bloging and anything else that keeps you sane. The house quilt is going to look real wacky.
    Big Hugs from the other side of the pond!
    P.S Love the Alzheimer's quilt. well done you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Lori, I'm so sorry about your Mother. Cute quilts! I hoping that tere will be a cure by the time we get there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What happy blocks! Alzheimer's, not so happy. My dad has it, too - early stages, but very challenging. Every night I pray for the caregivers, so you are on my list! I'm ashamed to say I haven't made a little quilt for donation, but plan to remedy that very soon. Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love those house blocks! Lovely bright quilts

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lori,
    I too have a mom with early stages of alzheimers.
    It has been very frustrating trying to help her when she can't understand what's happening.
    I made the Cheddar quilt and was going through a tough time with mom just as you started the Strawberry quilt along. I hope to make that one soon.
    I'll be thinking of you and your mom.......
    D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Doing the same thing with my Mom. Did it a few years ago with her sister. Sometimes you just feel bad even though you are doing all you can. Smile, sew, laugh...that is my best advice.
    Love your bright house and your little donation quilt.
    Keep stitching

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love all these fun quilts. Your house block is too cute. And hopefully the Alzheimer's quilt will raise a lot of money. Sorry you're having to go through that with your mom. It's such a heart-breaking thing for anyone to have to go through.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your house block - the tree with the balls is wonderful!
    what a great colorful post.
    your donation quilt is lovely - and it's a great cause, how nice of you. sorry to hear you had a tough weekend. Luckily, those suffering don't remember difficulties and hopefully you'll be feeling back in balance soon -
    sewing helps so much

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the tree in your first block.
    It must be hard to have things go badly with your Mom. I hope this week is better!!
    I love that last quilt - its so happy :0)

    ReplyDelete
  13. your Alzheimer's quilt is fabulous~ very effective use of the black and white stripe fabric in the sashing and borders~!
    my father-in-law had Alzheimer's and it was very difficult to see that progression . . . such a devestating disease (for the person as well as those close).
    may you be blessed and comforted while going through this time.


    the little house blocks are so cute and cwerky (this is how it should be spelled)~!!~ really like the one on the lime green background.

    take care.
    :-)
    libbyQ

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love those bright little houses..and your liberated quilt is wonderful too! Hopefully the "fiber therapy" eased your mind a bit?
    Alzheimer's is such a cruel disease.
    Hoping for better days ahead...

    ReplyDelete
  15. The house blocks are still as fun and vibrant as ever! Love them.

    Sorry your emotions got tumbled this week. It's never a good feeling to think you are not doing well. Hope the coming days are more ordinary!

    ReplyDelete

Because the ridiculous amount of SPAM I have resorted to comment moderation.

I love to reply to comments or a question. If you are on noreply-comment@blogger.com I have no way of contacting you. Please leave an email address. If you need help changing the setting please email me.
If you want to comment feel free to send me an email as I would love to hear from you!