Saturday, July 7, 2012

Friendships through Quilting

What I love most about quilting, isn't the quilts at all! At one time it may have been, but my world has changed. I love the way it brings us closer to one another and makes our world a little bit smaller and more intimate. Without quilting I would have never met many of my close friends and certainly never traveled like I have. I really enjoy seeing the country and all the things that make our nation a special place to live.This trip I got to renew friendships and make new ones.
Jill (left), Susan (center) and me. We all attended the red and white exhibit together last year. We met in Lancaster and another time at the PA Quilt Extravaganza. We were supposed to go to VQF together but Susan's husband had emergency eye surgery so we had dinner together instead. Hardly a consolation. This is Susan's yard and it was there that I saw my very first lightning bugs ever! Cool huh?
I met Jill when we were making our Jane Stickle quilt 13 or so years ago. We've had the occasional get together and somehow know our paths are meant to stay linked. She asked me to the show and made all the arrangements.

It's funny how two people can be from the opposite sides of the country and still mange to cross paths! Here is my dear friend Bonnie who just happened to be teaching in Vermont the same year I was attending! She had a grueling schedule and I wasn't on my own so our time was short, but precious.
This is my favorite photo taken by a stranger on the street of Montpelier. Barb V, Sue W, Me and Jill after dinner.
What are the chances that I would be meeting up with Sue in Vermont? She is from the UK and I am from Oregon. We met through unfortunate circumstances (AAQI) but are destined to remain forever friends. (I hope you agree Sue)
Barb is Jill's friend who I have met a few times previous and hit it off  wonderfully. Our common bond at this get together was we both just turned 50! All four of us had a memorable evening together.
I met Regan on Bonnie's quilt cruise! She's another who turned 50 this year and who got the ball rolling to copy Barb's idea for a jubilee quilt! We are all going to have a unique quilt that is made by us, for us.  Regan was staying at the same hotel so we were able to meet up for a little while. We found out we grew up within an hour from each other in Washington state! Crazy! (She has posted quilt a few quilts from the show if you'd rather skip over there instead of reading my blather!) lol
Ann, Me and Jill in Keepsake Quilting. We were invited to a lake house in NH by Ann and her SIL, Betsy.  Another emergency took Betsy out of the trip so Ann was the designated driver from Vermont to New Hampshire! lol I am pretty sure I drove her mad with my picture taking and jumping out of the car! lol Thanks Ann for putting up with me. I was able to meet Betsey when we returned to NJ. What a sweetheart who became a grandma 5 weeks earlier then anticipated!
Randy (Ann's hubby), Ann, Mort and Nan. Mort and Nan own the house we stayed at and they are the sweetest! I am so glad I got to get to know them a little bit at dinner. Ann's hubby hung out with us a little bit. We are both Red Sox fans so that worked out really well:)

Thank you Jill for showing me such a wonderful time and bringing me through 6 states!!

If you ever get a chance to meet other quilters (you know, they are an especially nice bunch) then don't hesitate. One of these times you may make life long friends as I have.

26 comments:

  1. This was such a lovely post - a tribute to your friends. The only downside came when I read that you are a Red Sox fan (I am a Yankee fan)! Quilting excursions are the best!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lori, I agree with you on the friendships that this quilting lark brings. I am friends with Sue W too and we share the Alzheimers link and we have also met up a few times. I feel so lucky to get to know such fabulous ladies through this shared passion. Life sometimes is hard but it is important to remember who you are at these times so, go and travel, meet friends and have FUN. Keep making wonderful quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing your trip and your friends. Who would have thought, 20 years ago, that we would meet so many wonderful people online? Technology is a wonderful thing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved seeing your journey with your friends--nice to "meet" Jill after having had a few email exchanges with her--and having a quilt of her creation on my living room sofa.
    Very jealous that you were on Lake Winnipesaukee, and not just because Keepsake Quilting is there. As I told you, DD#1 just moved there 2 months ago.

    ReplyDelete
  5. More happy faces. I too love all the wonderful people I have met because of quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is amazing how we meet people through quilting on the web and I also have made friends who I have met, as well.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful trip filled with precious memories! It's fun how technology has changed our world and helps us make so many connections with people that we wouldn't have met otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How fun to meet so many friends!! Lightning bugs - very cool! I've never seen them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Loved your post! So true what you said about quilting and how it brings us women together in a special way!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Threads that bind, that's what we are.
    We shall meet again in some far off place no doubt.
    Lovely post Lori and I was so pleased to meet you Jill and Barb in VT.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great post! Have a wonderful week with more quilting friends.

    ReplyDelete
  12. When I moved to the US, to a town of 160 people, I was told "if you quilt, you will have friends". I just spent the day at my LQS quilting with 5 'friends'. Just before going in to the LQS, I got a phone call my from quilty friend in southern WA, we were planning our get together in Aug, at a quilt show in Hood River. What an excellent post, I'm sure so many of us can relate.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds like you've had an excellent time. Thanks for sharing. Quilting friends are just the best, aren't they!

    ReplyDelete
  14. So great to spend a few hours with you, Lori on your East Coast trip. Sorry I missed the VT adventures, but happy to have dinner and hear about your trip.

    ReplyDelete
  15. great photos of fun with friends! I'm with you Lori, blogging has brought in contact with wonderful women and quilters.
    Looks like you had a fabulous "fifty" event!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've often thought that quilters make the best friends. They understand your passion and don't criticize you for buying fabric and patterns that may never get used but applaud loudly when they do.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I so agree after meeting up with some on-line friends in London!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Quilting and blogging brings wonderful people together. Looks like a great visit.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sounds like a wonderful trip. Fun to see so many quilting blogger's faces. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Loved your post today. Friendships and quilting simply do go hand in hand. Glad you had a great time in all aspects.of your trip.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love your site Lori!!!! gabe

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a great sentiment, Lori. What a small world when it comes to making quilt friends. Think of all we've been through "together" in that many years. It was totally our pleasure to have you with us in VT and NH and I hope we have many, many more travels together!!!

    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  23. That is so true! I have met some of the nicest people blogging about quilts! Nice pictures, I enjoyed the trip :0).


    Happy Sewing

    ReplyDelete
  24. I've so enjoyed your last few posts, I'm lagging a bit behind. You have met some wonderful friends and quilters, thanks for sharing them with us.

    ReplyDelete
  25. SO... that is who you are! I was with Bonnie in VT and nobody actually introduced us... but I read your blog often! I would have loved to have actually 'meet' you!

    Next time when you see me say hello! (ps.. I think I may have taken that photo of you and Bonnie. I can't remember but you did sit with me the entire event that night!)

    ReplyDelete

Because the ridiculous amount of SPAM I have resorted to comment moderation.

I love to reply to comments or a question. If you are on noreply-comment@blogger.com I have no way of contacting you. Please leave an email address. If you need help changing the setting please email me.
If you want to comment feel free to send me an email as I would love to hear from you!